‘The dress must follow the body of a woman, not the body following the shape of the dress” –Hurbet de Givenchy.
I was at the mall a while ago sitting in a corner with a friend wating for our movie to start, I couldnt help but look around, noticing what most ladies had on. It was glaring that most people get carried away with what’s in vogue not caring if it suits their body type or not. Now this is WRONG!
With the ever evolving fashion trend, it is imperative to know your body type and know how to work with it. Dressing up should be to help us accentuate our best features and not put on display all the goodies in a nasty way hehe. With that said, there are 5 basic body types.
- The Pear: Your lower body is wider than your upper body i.e your hips are wider than your shoulders. Your bottom is rounded and your waist is well-defined. Fashion goal – is emphasize your waist and arms, add volume to your shoulders and upper body and minimize your hips. DON’T wear clothing that draws attention to hips and thighs.
Try a-line skirts, which camouflage wider hips. Keep hems of pants, skirts and dresses wide to balance the hips. Experiment with light-colored tops and dark-colored bottoms for contrast. Look for boat neck tops, square and cowl necklines. Wear strapless dresses to show off arms and even out proportions. Try styles with ruffles on top. Wear jackets that hit right above the waist. Opt for pointy-toed shoes to elongate your legs.
- The Hourglass: Your shoulders and hips are similar in proportion and set off by a tiny waist. Fashion goal; Show off your curves without going overboard. DON’T hide your curves with baggy clothing. Wear a good bra and showcase your bust. Wear fitted dresses. Wear a belt at the waist to enhance your hourglass shape. Try wrap dresses as well as high- waisted skirts to show off your hips. Pick thin, lightweight styles and fabrics. Wear skinny or straight leg jeans.
- The Rectangle: The waist, hip and shoulder widths are similar and are usually on the slim side. Fashion goal; Create curves and show off slender legs and arms. Wear long jackets to create a lean look. wear scoop neck and sweetheart tops to create curves. Tops with collars, ruffles and details help flatter your chest area. Wear a good bra that will make the most of what you have. Wear dresses with ruching. Cinches on sides are ideal. Oh! have fun with colorful bottoms… feel free to experiment.
- The Apple: Most of your weight accumulates above the hips, which are narrow. Your back, ribs and shoulders are broad, and you may feel wider than other body types. Fashion goal; Elongate the torso, show off your legs and use fashion to create the illusion of a waist. Go for monochromatic looks, for v-neck tops which help create the illusion of a longer torso, Wear a bra that offers good lift and support. Wear belts at the smallest part of your waist. Tummy bulge can be concealed by wearing empire tops and dresses. Boot cut and flared jeans help create an even line from the shoulders down.Shorter skirts show off your legs and draw attention away from your midsection.
- The Inverted Triangle: You have broad chest and wide shoulders which are large in proportion to a narrow waist and hips. Fashion goal; Accentuate your lower body while softening your shoulders and upper body. Wear bright colors on bottom as well as wide-leg pants. Wear full skirts. DON’T wear spaghetti-strap tops, boat neckline tops and tops that draw attention to your waistline. Experiment with high-waisted styles and clothes that create the illusion of a waist.
To know your body type, look at yourself in the mirror in your underwear. Stand with your legs together and your arms a bit away from your sides. Examine the area from under your arms, past your bust and ribcage, over your waist and hips to the fullest part of your thighs. Look at the images of the body types above to know which suits you best.
With every trend, there’s enough ‘fashion’ for all body types. Thats all folks. Lenghty post right? Forgive me 🙂
Happy new year darlings. Toodles